Oil Painters Materials List
- Use approximately 12” x 16”, 14” x 18” or 16” x 20” for head studies
- Hog hair filberts (preferred) 1 or 2 of each size: 1/8”, ¼”, ½”, ¾” two or three small sables for the details, and a few larger sables such as #4, 6, 8 and 10 in a filbert or flat
Cadmium yellow light
Yellow ochre or yellow ochre pale Viridian
Windsor red or cadmium red light
Cadmium red medium (optional)
Terra Rosa or Venetian Red
|Windsor or cobalt violet
Chromium oxide green (optional)
Cobalt blue (optional)
Cerulean blue (optional)
Raw Sienna (optional)
- Odorless turpentine such as “turpenoid”—no Grumtine or Silicoil. ALL SOLVENTS AND MEDUIMS MUST BE ODORLESS.
- Painting medium: linseed oil, or your favorite. Medium not required.
- Small lidded jars: (for medium and turpenoid) with mouths wide enough to dip your largest brush into.
- A long (12” or so”) thin stick, knitting needle, or brush handle for measuring.
- Palette (may use disposable pallets)
- Palette knife
- Paper towels
- Mahl stick
- Hand held mirror, 5” x 7” is good
- Drawing pencils, sharpener, and eraser
- Drawing tablet, 5” x 7”
Easels and trays are provided. It is strongly recommended that you bring your favorite portable easel.